Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chekhov's Shorts

Hello lovers of books and literature.

I am posting today to inform anyone who appreciates the pleasures of hearing stories or poetry read out-loud, that i will be reading four of my favorite short literary pieces at the Salt Lake Main Public Library at 210 East 400 South next week.

The library hosts readings modeled on National Public Radio's Selected Shorts program on the last Wednesday of each month. They occur under the series heading, Chekhov's Shorts, which always makes me think of old Anton recreating in warm weather, though it really refers to the length of the stories. It is coordinated by Paul Reynolds and i was happy to receive his invitation a few months ago, since i love great stories and enjoy sharing them. And the experience of hearing stories in a group is very different from the experience of reading them silently, alone.

The reading will be held on Wednesday, January 27th on the fourth floor of the library, at 7:00 p.m.

I was glad to learn that i had great liberty to select what i would read and spent a lot of time looking over my favorite books to find excellent pieces that would conform to the time frame and present well out loud. After making my first choices, possibly, though not evidently, to Paul's frustration, i kept looking and revised my selections after library media had been produced so what is published only half represents what will really occur.

Here's my line-up — i will not revise it again.

First i will read A Serious Talk by Raymond Carver from his wonderful 1981 collection, What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.

Next i'll warm your heart with an odd but touching story from a 1985 collection by John Fante called A Nun No More. I'm not sure when this was first written but it was certainly much earlier than its appearance in print within The Wine of Youth.

Then i'll accost you with America by Allen Ginsberg. I really like this poem which was published in Ginsberg's best known collection, Howl. I told Paul i was going to read Howl but changed my mind upon re-reading. But the time the switch created left room for...

A Way of Yankee Knowledge by meta-fictional writer Donald Barthelme. This deep philosophical tale will open all your perceptual filters so you better watch out. I read it in the 1974 collection, Guilty Pleasures though it was first unleashed by the New York Times in 1973.

I'm already having fun just thinking about the reading, and i really hope you'll join us.

That's all for now.

Bone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enquiring minds want to know why you changed your mind about Howl upon re-reading. :-)