Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Love is a Mix Tape Review


Is there a song or artist that you feel defines a moment in your life? In his debut novel Love Is A Mix Tape writer Rob Sheffield uses music/mix tapes as a framework in this memoir. As someone who also likes to surround herself with music I could easily understand this correlation of music and memory. It is an excellent device and I enjoyed the mixture of the aural and the written word.

Sheffield mostly discusses music of the late 80s and 90s which is an era that I know very well. I think because of that I was able to connect with several chapters especially his chapter about Kurt Cobain. However the problem with this is that if you have not ever heard of the music that he's talking about then your enjoyment can be limited.

I think that Sheffield makes up for that by inserting an immense emotional hook. His elegy to his wife is heartbreaking and even had this stoic tearing up. Using music to cope with grief Sheffield is not afraid to show honest emotion on the page. It is this aspect that I think creates a universal appeal.

If you'd like to read more of my book musings feel free to click here.

No comments: