Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My New Favorite Book

Joyce Carol Oates is one of the most prolific writers out there, with this said, I have never actually read one of her books because I didn’t know where to start. I bought a copy of “The Assignation”, a collection of short stories. I read a few of those, which were great, and came across possibly the most influential book I have ever read, “The Faith of a Writer”. This book is a collection of essays about the process of writing, the craft of writing, her childhood, inspiration, advice to young writers, and so much more. From the moment I opened to the first page and began reading, I’ve loved every word, sentence, paragraph, essay, every syllable, and every insight. To anyone who loves to write, I recommend this book with the highest praise. Thank you, Joyce Carol Oates, for this amazing book.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Interesting, I am not sure if I am enough of a writer to give it a read. But I have partially read http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060919884 : The Writing Life by Annie Dillard and thought I'd pass on the reference. Wondering if you'd read it.

Liz S... said...

I haven't read that one yet, but I'll give it a look. Thanks!